Dear Friends of Rode RAGE,
Well we are well and truly up and running for 2017.
- We had 4 teams entered in a 6 hour event at Casey in Melbourne in late February.
- Our newly minted all female school aged team did spectacularly well finishing 2nd in their category behind a huge private school with a massive budget, an elite cycling program and 1000 girls to choose from.
- Our Frodo team finished 2nd overall with our Bilbo team not far behind in 5th.
- Our Gandalf team for the very old and very young did very well and valuable fitness and experience was gained.
- We again had 4 teams entered in a very difficult 24 hour race at Wonthaggi recently. It was very hot, then very humid then very foggy then very hot again...each of which presented different challenges .... but we were very excited at the way the 37 young people from all over Victoria and SA came together as a solid unit to overcome each of the challenges.
- Our girls team again came second to the same school and Gandalf again gave great experience. Our Frodo and Bilbo teams both ran into difficulties overnight with visibility in the fog and a dodgy gear selector and were a bit disappointed to finish 5th and 6th which are still good results but we were in the running for 3rd for most of the race.
- And especially we were pleased at the way our kids continue to bring together many different teams into one big happy community. Our pits were a big social magnet and our kids spent a lot of time with other teams helping out and just making friends :)
Here are some links to a couple of videos made by 2 of our kids of the weekend to give you an idea of how it looked both to the spectators and from inside the bikes from a riders eye view :)
We were however, very pleased to use the weekend to help raise funds and awareness for our friends at Bicycles for Humanity to assist getting a shipping container full of bicycles over to Namibia where they will make a real and immediate difference to the educational and business prospects of hundreds of hard working and deserving people.
At the end of last year our partner in our our Organic Waste Collection program for Ballarat shops, pubs and cafes withdrew, but we are very pleased that local family owned business Paper Freight have stepped up to fill the void along with support from the City of Ballarat so we will be back up and running shortly ... we are very grateful to both and look forward to getting back to helping create significant environmental and financial savings for our community.We are currently being inundated with requests from all over Australia to join the team which is great ... but also presenting several challenges :)
Off to Mt Gambier for an 8 hour race this weekend, then several more events in SA during the year and just starting to look at returning to Qld in September.
Thanks again for all your support and best wishes,