Sustainable House Day talks 9:00am Ballarat Library
For those wanting a bit more information on the presenters talking on Sunday 11 September at the Ballarat Library, our presenters have provided a bit more information on what to expect on the day and a little information on themselves.
A big thank you to Talina, Mick and Dale for supporting Sustainable House Day and providing an opportunity for the interested public to learn more about the many facets of sustainablity.
If you haven't already registered, you can easily do so by clicking this link
Presenter: Talina Edwards
Talina is a Ballarat-based architect who runs who her own practice: Talina Edwards Architecture: elemental design,
She has a passion for sustainable design, green buildings, healthy homes and natural living.
OUTLINE OF PRESENTATION
Sustainable House Day Ballarat 2016 Virtual Tour
Talina will present a 'virtual tour' of some of her current projects, so you can gain an insight into the architectural design process, and how sustainability is approached holistically. Sustainable homes are a lot more than just adding solar panels, and this presentation will provide some helpful professional advice about the key areas to focus on to get maximum benefits and savings (for you, your wallet, and the planet!).
Presenter: Dale Boucher
Dale has worked as the Sustainability Officer for Federation University for the past 8 years. In that time he has dramatically reduced the environmental footprint of the University’s 7 campus through energy and water reduction programs, waste and paper minimisation programs and alternative transport options for staff and students.
OUTLINE OF PRESENTATION
Sustainable House Day - Household retrofits to improve energy efficiency
Dale and Allison purchased their Buninyong home in 1997 and quickly discovered the house was freezing in winter, scorching in summer and was expensive to run. Over several years, Dale installed a number of DIY retrofits that has made the house comfortable all year round and reduced energy consumption by 80%.
Dale will take you through his experiences and recommendations for retrofitting your home.
Presenter: Mick Moloney
- Moloney Architects is a registered architectural company and member of the Australian Institute of Architects.
- Mick and Jules Moloney co-founded MA in 2007, next year will be the studio's 10th anniversary.
- Moloney Architects studio is located at 1320 Sturt St Ballarat. The company services the local area as well as Melbourne and the Surf Coast.
- Moloney Architects is an award winning architectural practice. MA's work is regularly featured in national and international design publications.
- Working within Ballarat's rich architectural heritage, Moloney Architects specialises in the restoration and adaptation of heritage buildings to meet the requirements of modern life. The studio also specialises in new house designs on greenfield sites, multi-residential developments, and boutique commercial propjects.
- Moloney Architects views each project as an opportunity to demonstrate the benefits of fundamental sustainable design principles. In partnership with passionate clients and consultants, MA uses highly sustainable materials and building technologies to achieve excellent thermal efficiency in our cold climate.
Outline of presentation
- Case Study 1 - Webster St House
- Modern additions to heritage buildings
- Sustainable design in urban context
- Sustainable design in heritage context
- Case Study 2 - Invermay House
- Sustainable design as a design driver on greenfield sites
- Sustainability fundamentals for good houses
- Brief discussion on low cost, socially sustainable housing